After the protests against Rosia Montana mining project started, it also started raining with commercials favoring the exploitation. On the other hand, some TVs informed their public about the protests with serious delays .
The ads promoting the mining at Rosia Montana were broadcasted tens of times on Romanian TVs since the protests against the project started, on September 1st. A TV monitoring made by CNA shows the ads were broadcasted by 13 Romanian channels
CNA debated the way anti-RMCG protests were reflected on TV and also the ads broadcasted in connection with the mining project.
The monitoring also shows the moment when TVs started broadcasting information from the anti-RMCG protests.
If Realitatea TV, B1 TV, TVR, Digi 24 and Pro TV relayed info from the protests from day one, not the same thing can be said about the other monitored stations. Antena 3 started broadcasting info on protests the 2nd day after they started, Prima TV – in the 3rd day, Romania TV did the same from September 8th, while Antena 1 and Kanal D gave info on protests for the first time on September 9th
Advertising and sponsorships
- Antena 3 – 88 broadcasts
- B1 TV – 135
- Realitatea TV – 15
- România TV – 111
- TVR 1 – 67
- TVR 2 – 63
- Acasă TV – 25
- Antena 1 – 45
- Kanal D – 32
- Prima TV – 36
- Pro TV – 13
- Etno TV – 45
- Taraf TV – 47
Besides broadcasting ads pro-RMCG, B1 TV and Romania TV also had shows sponsored by Rosia Montana Gold Corporation.
- B1 TV: Capital TV, Business B1 and The price of Gold
- România TV: Romanian Excellence, Early Romania, Economica, Did you know?
When did TVs start broadcasting about protests?
- Antena 1 – September 9th – news, reportages and broadcasts with collective actions from Bucharest, Rosia Montana, Alba.
- Pro TV – September 1st – news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Sibiu, Cluj, Bistrita, Rosia Montana.
- TVR 1 – September 1st - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Cluj, Alba, Bistrita, Rosia Montana, Timisoara, Iasi, Oradea, London, Paris.
- Kanal D – September 9th - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Cluj and Rosia Montana.
- Prima TV – September 3rd - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest and Rosia Montana.
- Realitatea TV – September 1st - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Cluj, Timisoara and Rosia Montana.
- România TV – September 8th - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Rosia Montana, Arad.
- B1 TV – September 1st - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Cluj, Sibiu, Rosia Montana.
- Antena 3 – September 2nd - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest and Rosia Montana.
- Digi 24 – September 1st - news, reportages, broadcasts from Bucharest, Cluj, Brasov, Sibiu, Paris, Rosia Montana, Timisoara, Iasi.
Rosia Montana and the online coverage
As it represents a subject of interest for Romanians, Rosia Montana colored red the Romanian online and divided it in 2 sides, pro and against the mining project.
Between August 20th – October 13th, the number of online apparitions is of around 213.000, which means more than 50 days of online discussions and street protests. The estimated impression for Rosia Montana subject were of 281M, as Wall-Street.ro and DailyBusiness.ro inform, quoting a monitoring made by ZelistMonitor.
Most discussions took place on Facebook, both on pulic pages and in public discussions on personal profiles. During the monitored period, there were 117,000 apparition only on Facebook , the estimated viewership being of over 144M impressions, equal to 63% of the total online discussions on this subject.
Translation provided by AdHuggerCarmen Maria Andronache carmenpaginademedia.ro