The national selection that will designate the song to represent Romania in the contest will take place on March 1st, during a show broadcasted by TVR.
TVR entered Romania at the last moment (end of November 2013) in Eurovision 2014 competition, that will take place in Copenhagen (Denmark).
Eurovision 2014 competition will take place on May 6th, 8th and 10th. On January 20, a draw will take place to establish the order the participant countries will enter the 2 semi-finals of the competition.
The entries for the national selection
Those who want to enter the national selection organized by TVR can submit their entries from January 15th to February 15th , according to a TVR press release.
“TVR confirms our country’s participation to (…) Eurovision also in 2014, considering that Romania and Romanians worth the financial efforts needed to participate to this important event. The decision to participate to Eurovision was announced to EBU, the organizer of the contest”, TVR informs, in a press release.
Last year, event’s budget was of almost Euro 200,000.
The stages of Eurovision 2014 national selection
- January 15th– February 14th: receiving entries (submitting or sending the songs and the documentation specified in contest rules to TVR or, via email, to [email protected]);
- Februry 19th and 20th: preselection (a specialized jury will hear the songs entered in the competition);
- February 20th: a total of maximum 12 finalist songs will be announced
- March 1st – national selection – choosing the winning song during a televised show with public
- Those who want to enter the selection can send on TVR’s address – Calea Dorobanţilor, nr. 191, sector 1, Bucureşti or can submit to TVR’s Registrature a closed envelop with the following documents: CD, including the final version of the song and a negative version in WAV format.
- The envelops must also include the following info related to the song: title, name of the composer(s), name of lyrics’ author(s), the name of singers and producer (publisher), if it’s the case.
- The entries can be made also via email ([email protected]), with songs to be sent in MP3 format, along with the above mentioned information. For email submission, those that enter the competition will receive a confirmation send from the same email address, [email protected].
- The song entered in the competition shouldn’t have been launched commercially or publicly sang (integrally or partially) before September 1st 2013.
- The song entered in the contest mustn’s be longer than 3 minutes and the minimum age for singers is 16 years at the date of the international final, according to EBU rules.
More info can be found on eurovision.tvr.ro, within the rules section, starting January 12th.
Eurovision is an international song competition organized by European Broadcasting Union (EBU), the biggest association on public TVs in Europe.
The first edition took place in 1956, in Lugano (Switzerland). The show, broadcasted with no interruptions for 58 years, became one of the oldest and most watched TV programs in the world.
During show’s history, artists such as ABBA, Julio Iglesias, Celine Dion and Johnny Logan were present on Eurovision’s stage.
Romanian TV, member of EBU, organizes the National Selection and participate to the European competition since 1993
The best performances achieved by Romania in the competition were:
3rd place twice (Luminita Anghel & Sistem – Kiev, 2005; Paula Seling and Ovi – Oslo, 2010)
4th place once (Mihai Traistariu – Atena, 2006).
The Romanian song with the highest score in Eurovision’s final (172 points) is Tornero, composed by Eduard Circota and sang by Mihai Traistariu.
Translation provided by AdHuggerCarmen Maria Andronache carmenpaginademedia.ro